December 2023 Newsletter
We can’t believe we are in the last month of 2023!
What a great year it has been at Volunteer Park Campground.
We have some amazing things going on around town during the holidays. We also have another recipe for you this month!
Easy Crock Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
An easy lasagna recipe without all the work. You have to try this simple crock pot lasagna recipe! A lasagna soup crock pot recipe that tastes just like lasagna!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz can)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz can)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 cups beef broth (1 carton)
- 12 oz lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- First, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat and drain off the excess grease.
- Then, place the ground beef into a 6-quart crock pot.
- Add in the diced onion and red bell pepper. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and the diced tomatoes.
- Add in seasonings.
- Third, pour in the beef broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the lid. Break the lasagna noodles into bite-size pieces and stir them in. I break them in over the crock pot so all the small pieces will fall directly into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes until the noodles are cooked through.
- Spoon into bowls. Top with a tablespoon of ricotta cheese, and a handful of mozzarella, and the shredded Parmesan cheese.
2023 Downtown Peppermint Trail
When: Recurring daily until January 7, 2024; Price: Free
Follow the trail of peppermints on the sidewalks of Downtown Knoxville to discover all sorts of treats featuring the favorite red-and-white candy. From candy cane coffees at morning brunch to craft cocktails sipped by candlelight, you’ll find peppermint treats round almost every corner – along with plenty of gingerbread, cinnamon, cranberry, apple spice, and other holiday flavors. Plus, boutiques and gift shops feature peppermint-themed t-shirts, scented soaps, candles, and all kinds of holiday surprises.
Knoxville’s Holidays on Ice
Market Square, Downtown Knoxville
When: Recurring daily from November 24, 2023 – January 3, 2024; Price: Adults $12.00; Children 12 and Under $9:00; Adult Season Pass: $50.00; Children’s Season Pass: $35.00.
Holidays on Ice, presented by Home Federal Bank, opens on Friday, November 24, 2023! We look forward to another great season!
Whether with family, friends or on a date, you’ll love skating in the heart of Downtown Knoxville in Market Square!
Join us at Holidays on Ice, presented by Home Federal Bank, to make memories that will last long after the holidays are over.
Enjoy skating under the stars and twinkling lights while listening to music every night.
There may even be a panda sighting by our Holidays on Ice Mascot, “Peppermint Panda!”
The rink opens the day after Thanksgiving and will close on January 3, 2024.
**Tickets purchased online are valid any day**
LOCATION & CONTACT INFO:
- The ice rink is located in Market Square in front of the Knoxville Chamber at 17 Market Square in Downtown Knoxville.
- The ice rink will be closed during inclement weather, please check the Holidays on Ice Facebook page to stay updated.
Reasons You Should Go Camping In The Winter
Going RV camping can be fun and exciting any time of the year. Many RVers shy away from camping in the winter because they are concerned about the restraints of cold-weather camping. If you have never experienced an RV trip in the dead of winter, this will offer you five compelling reasons why you should. In the opinion of some RV campers, there is no better time to experience the joys of Mother Nature at its finest.
Most RVers cannot stand the thought of being away from their RV all winter long. If you are one of them, check out these five compelling reasons why you should plan on RV camping in the cold of winter.
- One of the biggest reasons for RVing in the winter is being able to save tons of money. RV parks often offer deep discounts during the winter months which can allow you to spend your saved money on fun and good eats.
- Another reason that drives people to RV during the winter is the lack of tourist crowds. Most people plan their vacations in the warm months so winter travel offers a more peaceful interaction with nature and the sites along the way.
- Some RVers prefer camping in the winter because of the lack of pests they must deal with in their travels. No mosquitos, snakes, and other unwanted pests can be a strong drawing point. At least you won’t have to pack your bug spray.
- If you love snowy weather, what better time to RV? Imagine staying cuddled up, warm and cozy, in your RV and watching the snow fall over the mountains! For some, this is the reason that gets them on the road every time.
- The health benefits of traveling in colder weather are also a factor to consider. Breathing in cool air offers amazing benefits to your health. Some people feel more alive than ever before when the weather around them is icy cold.